Live Events are a great way to engage with your audience and the wider Insight Timer community. To support you in your mission to share your work and help people, there are a few ways you can make the most of your session.
Before Your Event
Get the Word Out
Regularly promoting your live sessions makes all the difference. Share the link for your live event on your social media accounts, website, email list, etc., and encourage your followers to share with their friends. You may do this with the following:
Share via the Teacher Dashboard
- Log in with your Teacher Account on the Teacher Dashboard
- Click Live Events located on the left panel of the Teacher Dashboard
- Scroll down to see all your events
- Click the arrow button. A pop-up window displaying options where to share will appear. Choose which platform you prefer. You may also opt to just copy the link
Share via the App
- On your iOS or Android device, log in with your Teacher Account in the Insight Timer app (make sure it’s the latest version)
- Go to your Profile. Your Live Events are displayed there
- Select which Live Event you'd like to share and click the share icon on the top right of the event card
Test Your Internet Connection
Nothing ruins a live stream quicker than bad internet, glitches, pauses, and pure drop-outs, it's a bad look for you and disrupts your session's flow. We recommend testing your connection using www.speedtest.net. Make sure your download/upload speeds are at least 10mbps/7mbps, and preferably 50mbps/20mbps. If you don’t have a good connection, then consider a different location or switch between Wi-Fi and your cellular network.
Check Your Equipment
To ensure that you have a seamless and hassle-free Live Event, please make sure that you have the following:
- Computer with a Google Chrome web browser
- External webcam
- External microphone
- Amp for connecting audio equipment
Have a Compelling Curriculum
A great title alone can’t do all the heavy lifting. It’s important you spend some time planning your session with a clear vision of what you’re going to cover. Having notes that you can see when you’re looking at the camera can help you stay on track. We've put together some content ideas for your live event here.
Set the Scene
Once you’ve found a location with a good internet connection, plan the ‘look and feel’ for your live stream. Consider how the location, lighting, and sound quality reflect your brand and your message.
Create Your Next Event
We recommend consistently scheduling a minimum of two live sessions in advance. This approach allows you to discuss your upcoming live streams, fostering enthusiasm within our community and encouraging them to join you regularly.
On The Day of Your Live Event
On the day of your Live Event, please make sure to follow the steps below:
- Login to the Teacher Dashboard. Make sure you are using Google Chrome.
- Go to the Live Event tab on the left panel of the Teacher Dashboard
- Select the correct event you're hosting that day under Upcoming
- When the countdown reaches zero, the Start Live button will appear. Click this and your audience will now be able to see and hear you.
Additionally, the following tips are recommended for a seamless experience.
Enter The Stream Early For Ample Time For Tech Test
We recommend entering 10-15 minutes early in your Live Event to make sure your camera and microphone are working and that you’re positioned correctly in the frame. Follow these steps:
- Click on the correct Live link from your Teacher Dashboard.
- Click ‘Enter stream early’.
- Allow Insight Timer to access your camera and microphone.
- To test your audio before going live, toggle on "Playback my microphone" and talk through your mic. If you don't see this pop-up, click the sidetone icon (ear icon) beside the "Start Live" button. You will hear yourself and see the microphone volume level move indicating your audio is working. Toggle off the sidetone/playback before going live to avoid an echo.
Check Your Connection Again
Connection speeds can vary throughout the day so it’s a good idea to test again on www.speedtest.net. Remember, you’re looking for download/upload speeds of at least 10mbps/7mbps.
Be Mindful Of Bandwidth
Turn off automatic app updates and any file-syncing applications that you use (e.g., Dropbox and Google Drive). If possible, ask anyone who shares your WiFi network to avoid activities that might use up internet bandwidth while you are live.
Charge Your Devices
Video can consume the battery quickly so make sure it’s fully charged. Or better yet, have it plugged in during your session.
Use Only One Device
Make sure to only use one device at a time. Using multiple devices in hosting a live event may result in some technical issues like the video/audio feed the meditators can see/hear switching between your devices. Our platform can only output one source each for video and audio.
Add Music And/Or a Virtual Background
Try adding background music to your session to create the atmosphere or vibe you prefer. Here's how to do this. You may also add a virtual background to complement your session. This option is not native to our platform, but here's a way to do it using third-party software. Here's also how to patch a group video call.
Consider Teaching in Landscape Mode
Especially for yoga teachers, the landscape mode will be a more immersive way to hold your live events. Here's how to hold your live event in landscape mode.
Engage With The Community
Welcome everyone to the session! The Insight Timer community is truly global so expect to have people join you from many cities, countries and continents.
Maximize Your Donations
We recommend asking for donations 2-3 times during the session and acknowledging people’s generosity. Make people aware that their donations help keep the session free for everyone to join.
Promote Your Other Insight Timer Offerings
Talk about your courses and guided meditations on Insight Timer and encourage attendees to follow you in the app.
Adhere To Our Community Guidelines
All Live Events must follow the Guidelines For Teachers. Please do not promote products that are not on Insight Timer. This includes references to websites, books, courses, and retreats. Here are our instructions and requirements for Live Events.